The welfare of farm animals has been our priority for many years: it is a topic that is attracting increasing interest not only from the livestock world but also from the public opinion. In collaboration with other universities and public and private organisations, we are involved in developing animal welfare indicators and assessment protocols (e.g., Welfare Quality® and AWIN) for different livestock species. Given the constant evolution of this topic, research is constantly evolving to include new species or different management types (intensive, extensive, organic).
For us, a proper human-dog/cat relationship and the owner education is essential prerequisites for a correct coexistence with our pets. Numerous studies have been carried out to improve dogs and cats wellbeing in shelters (kennels and catteries), trying to improve their lives during their stay. For horses, research ranges from the management of the animal in stables to the evaluation of the human-animal relationship. Important pet therapy collaborations with institutions and hospitals have been active for years.
- PARSUTT. PARma ham high SUsTainability sTandard, funded by Regione Emilia Romagna, PSR 2014-2020, Measure 16.1.01 (2021-2023), partner
- Slegami. Innovative and sustainable solutions to improve animal welfare in fixed stables in the Parmigiano Reggiano area, funded by Regione Emilia Romagna, PSR 2014-2020, Measure 16.1.01 (2020-2022), partner
- Sustainable Pig Production Chain. Enhancement of traditional pork products in Trentino through certification of animal welfare and environmental sustainability, financed by the Autonomous Province of Trento, RDP 2014-2020, Measure 16.1.1.
- Responsible Ham. Diversification of processed products based on high animal welfare standards in pig farms, funded by Regione Emilia Romagna, PSR 2014-2020, Measure 16.1.01 (2016-2019), partner
- The Ethical Pig Farm. Voluntary quality scheme based on high animal welfare standards for pig farming, financed by Regione Lombardia, PSR 2014-2020, Measure 16.2.01 (2016-2018), partner
- Green Pig Supply Chain. Environmental compatibility and animal welfare in the pig supply chain to improve profitability and ensure sustainability, funded by AGER – Agrifood and Research project (2011-2014), partner and Workpackage 2 coordinator
- Clearfarm. Co-designed Welfare Monitoring Platform for Pig and Dairy Cattle”>Clearfarm. Co-designed Welfare Monitoring Platform for Pig and Dairy Cattle, funded under H2020-EU.3.2. – EU SOCIETAL CHALLENGES (2019-2023), partner and Workpackage 3 coordinator
- Preparatory work for EFSA’s Scientific Opinion on the welfare assessment of dairy cows on small farms, funded under an EFSA procurement procedure (2014-2015), subcontractor
- AWIN. Development, integration and dissemination of direct indicators of animal welfare, including pain, in commercially important domestic species, with particular reference to small ruminants, equids and turkeys, funded under the EU 7th Framework Programme (2011-2015), partner and Workpackage 1 coordinator
- Welfare Quality®. Integrating animal welfare into food quality: from consumer concerns to improved animal welfare and greater transparency in product quality, funded under the 6th EU Framework Programme (2004-2009), partners
- COST Action 846. Measuring and monitoring the welfare of domestic animals, funded under COST Actions (2001-2006), partner
- Agreement with the shelter A.DI.CA in Lodi for internship activities for students of the various degree courses and for veterinary care services related to behavioural medicine including courses for future owners, pre-adoption consultations for future owners of shelter dogs, post-adoption behavioural visits, behavioural assessment and rehabilitation of shelter dogs not yet adopted (2019 to date)
- Agreement with the Shelter park in Milan for internship activities for students of the various degree courses and for collaboration on various animal welfare projects (2019 to date)
- Research agreement with MSD Animal Health S.r.l. on the impact of climate change on dog and cat behaviour (2019-2021)
- Collaboration with the ATS of Varese. Definition of a procedure for the evaluation of structures, management procedures and welfare indicators measured directly on animals for the assessment and protection of animal welfare in cattle, sheep and goat and horse breeding (2012-2014)